The tailgate on a 2005 Doge Ram 1500 is a hinged flap at the back of the pickup truck hat can be removed or lowered when loading or unloading materials from the vehicle. The tailgate might also need to be removed if it gets damaged or when swapping it out for a nicer aftermarket tailgate. Use these step-by-step removal and installation procedures if you need to take off the tailgate.
- Open the tailgate.
- Detach the tailgate check cables. Refer to the download repair manual “Cable Removal Body Tailgate.”
- Close the trucks tailgate until the notch in the right hand collar aligns with the pivot pin.
- Slip the trucks tailgate hinge collar from pivot pins.
- Slide the tailgate to the right and separate the pivot pin from the left hand collar.
- Separate and remove the tailgate from the Dodge Ram truck.
- Position the Dodge Ram’s tailgate collar on left hand pivot pin and carefully slide the triage to the left.
- Raise the truck’s tailgate until the notch in the right hand collar aligns with the pivot pin.
- Reconnect the truck’s tailgate check cables. Refer to the download repair manual “Cable Install Body Tailgate.”
Always refer to the downloadable online factory service manual when removing and installing the tailgate on the 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. Additional service and repair information, specifications and photographs are included.