The 2002 Dodge Ram parking brake pedal assembly is a separate bake system used to prevent the pickup truck from rolling when it’s parked and in case of failure of the primary brake system. The parking brake pedal is also termed emergency brake. Follow these parking brake pedal removal and install procedures in the event the assembly needs servicing.
PARKING BRAKE PEDAL REMOVAL
- Releases the vehicle’s parking brake.
- Raise the vehicle. Refer to the download repair manual for jacking/lifting procedures.
- Loosen the cable tensioner nut at the equalizer so as to create slack in the front cable.
- Lower the pickup truck.
- Take off the knee bolster, refer to the download factory service manual for removal procedures.
- Take off the brake lamp wire from the switch on the parking brake pedal assembly.
- Roll the vehicle’s carpet back so as to loosen the front cable grommet from the floorpan and then remove the cable retainer.
- Disengage the release rod (refer to photograph below) from the arm on the parking brake pedal assembly.
- Take off the nuts/bolts from he parking brake pedal assembly and then remove the assembly.
PARKING BRAKE PEDAL INSTALLATION
- Begin the install by positioning the replacement pedal assembly on the cowl and dash.
- Install the nuts/bolts and torque them to 21 ft. lbs. (28 N·m) (Refer to photograph below).
- Reinstall the park brake release rod.
- Reconnect the front cable to the arm on the parking brake pedal assembly.
- Tighten the front cable grommet to the vehicle’s floorpan and cable retainer. Then roll back the carpet to its original position.
- Reconnect the wires to the parking brake pedal lamp switch.
- Reinstall the knee bolster. Refer to the downloadable service manual for installation procedures.
- Raise the pickup truck.
- Make adjustments to the parking brake cable tensioner. Refer to “Parking Brakes & Brake Cable Tension Adjustments” in the download repair manual.
Always refer to the download repair manual when preforming maintenance, service and repairs to the 2002 Dodge Ram 1400 2500 3500 pickup truck. Additional repair procedures, specifications, pictures and illustrations are included.